ALERT: The Gateway Arch Ticketing & Visitor Center has relocated to the Old Courthouse at 11 N. 4th Street. The walking distance between the Old Courthouse and the Arch entrance at the SOUTH leg is approximately 0.3 miles (7 minutes of average walking time). EACH guest planning to enter the Gateway Arch will be required to have EITHER a Journey to the Top ticket or an Arch Entry-Only ticket to be allowed access to the facility.  Tram tickets will sell out early and often - advance tickets are strongly recommended.

Please Note: The Museum of Westward Expansion, located under the Gateway Arch is closed for significant renovations. Certain artifacts from the Museum are on display in exhibit galleries at the Old Courthouse.


Gateway Arch Exterior Staining Study Finds No Significant Issues: Industrial Rope Access project determines stains are a combination of original construction markings, accumulation of residues, and graffiti

April 09, 2015

Release Date: April 9, 2015

Contact: Frank Mares, JNEM

Phone: 314-655-1600

Contact: Jenna Todoroff, Common Ground PR

Phone: 636-530-1235




WHAT:  In October 2014, the iconic Gateway Arch, designed by Eero Saarinen and completed in 1965, received up-close attention from Wiss Janney Elstner Associates (WJE), recognized as the foremost leader for independent, objective and technically sound exterior assessment and restoration design on significant buildings and monuments.  The team inspected the surface of the monument as part of a comprehensive study to determine the structural health of the construction materials. The complete report is available online at The conclusion of the findings, in part, states:

“The exterior stainless steel of the Arch is in serviceable condition, without significant structural distress or deterioration. The visual anomalies, including a variety of blemishes, deposits, and discoloration, are not currently an indication of significant corrosion or distress of the stainless steel, and many of these visual anomalies are from the original construction.”  In addition, the report points out: “[. . .] the incised graffiti and impact damage at the base are a result of vandalism after construction,” and calls for increased security around the base of the Arch to prevent future vandalism.

“We are satisfied with the extent of the research, the completeness of this report, and are ultimately quite pleased that the monument is, in fact, in great shape,” said Frank Mares, Deputy Superintendent, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. The Industrial Rope Access project was funded in part by Bi-State Development Agency and grants from the World Monuments Fund, and the Kemper Fund for Missouri and Kansas of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

For those looking to learn more about the complex issues facing the preservation of today’s significant structures—including an in-depth discussion of the IRA project findings, the three-day Mid-century Modern Symposium (April 14 through 16 at the Drury Plaza Hotel in downtown St. Louis) will concentrate primarily on the history, use and preservation of materials found in Mid-century Modern architecture. Special emphasis will be placed on modern architectural metals, glass and concrete, and the challenges they present in proper conservation efforts. Registration for the symposium is online at



skip navigation