209 Walnut Street
Part of the Architecture Tour
The Basilica of St. Louis, King of France, now known commonly as the Old Cathedral, was completed in 1834. The land was platted by Pierre Laclede and Auguste Chouteau on their founding of the city in 1764, when Laclede dedicated the block west of his home for the building of the city’s church and cemetery. The church was the first cathedral west of the Mississippi at the time of its consecration in 1834. The lower level museum houses historical church artifacts and documents.
Stop 2 of the Architecture Tour
view entire tour