Girl Scouts: Earn Badges at Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
Release Date: January 6, 2014
Contact: Ann Honious, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
Contact(s): Jenna Todoroff, Common Ground PR
WHAT: Jefferson National Expansion Memorial will offer free programs and workshops designed to enrich and fulfill requirements for various Girl Scout badges throughout 2015.
“Our badge programs tie-in the Girl Scouts’ mission to build courage, confidence and character in young women,” says Ann Honious, Chief, Museum Services and Interpretation, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. “Scouts can learn about the events related to America’s westward expansion and St. Louis history during the 19th century.”
2015 Girl Scouts Badge Programs
Facilitated by National Park Service rangers, all programs are approximately 50 minutes long and offered year-round. A 30-day advanced reservation and a group of at least six Scouts (maximum of 30) is required to book a program. Some programs have a limited capacity on specific dates, and others can be scheduled per the group’s availability.
- Cooperation on the Trail: Learn what life was like for 19th-century families traveling west in a wagon over prairies, rivers and mountains.
- Fun and Games: Learn about the lives and pastimes of nineteenth century boys and girls. Scouts will make their own pioneer toy.
- My Family Story: Discover how stories of long agogathered from oral histories, photographs, letters and diarieshelp us learn about where we came from and who we are. Fulfills Skill Builder Badge.
- Playing the Past: In the 19th century, opportunities for women were often limited; but regardless of the challenges, women made significant contributions to our history as a people. Fulfills Skill Builder Badge.
- Inside Government: Learn about local government, past and present, and how to be active citizens today. Fulfills Legacy Badge.
2015 Cadette and Senior Workshops
These half-day interest project workshops are scheduled on varying days throughout the year.
- Finding Common Ground: Learn the art of debate and compromise in an effort to find our common ground. Offered Fri., June 5, and Thurs, Aug. 6; 9 am1 pm.
- Public Speaker: Speaking in public is a powerful way to connect with people. Learn the skills of public speaking and “perform” at Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. Offered Fri., June 12, and Fri., Aug. 7, 9 am1 pm.
HOW: For reservations, call 877-982-1410 or 314-982-1410. Due to space availability, no email or voicemail reservations will be accepted for workshops. For more information, visit www.gatewayarch.com. A Jefferson National Expansion Memorial patch is available for purchase upon completion of a Scout program.
Scouts receive the National Park Service America the Beautiful passport rate for Arch tram rides. One complimentary tram ticket is available for groups of 20 or more.